Wednesday, May 25, 2011
10 things that make me feel better
3. Sweatpants. Call it “loungewear” if you want to be hoity-toity about it, but I would be happy to wear clothes that are only suitable for the gym all the time. But I don’t want to go to the gym.
4. Yoga makes me happy, which is great because it gives me a plausible reason to wear gym clothes.
5. Organizing something. Anything… even the silverware drawer. Gretchen Rubin knew what she was talking about when she said in her book, The Happiness Project “Outer order creates inner calm.” There is a direct positive correlation between the level of sadness I feel & the number of trips I make to The Container Store. That doesn’t sound like a ringing endorsement for The Container Store, but I should point out that it doesn’t actually cause the sadness. It makes it better.
6. Writing. Even if it is just making a list of things that make me happy.
7. Reading. Especially David Sedaris or Augusten Burroughs… I once started laughing so hard at a David Sedaris story while in an airport, I completely lost it & began to cry hysterically. As I sat simpering & trying to mop up my tears with a Starbucks napkin, a little elderly lady stopped to pat me. She thought I was actually crying because I was sad… which I found to be so funny that I started sobbing again. I no longer read David Sedaris or Augusten Burroughs in public. They make me ugly-cry… but in the happiest way possible.
8. Reading posts on damnyouautocorrect.com. It isn’t so much the innocent-text-messages-gone-horribly-wrong that make me laugh, but the quick-witted responses from the person receiving the accidentally profane text or the horror-stricken fumbling explanation from the sender. Either way, this website can make me really happy really quickly.
9. Dancing. Strange, but true.
10. Ron Burgundy. It’s hard to be sad when you have a formerly-homeless cat doing everything he can to sit as close to you as possible while purring so loud you can’t hear the TV.