Pages

Friday, January 3, 2014

The New Year


New Year's Day is my favorite holiday, which may seem a little odd considering all of the other options. There is something magical about getting to make a new start in the midst of the familiarity of your life. While there is a certain amount of sameness because it is happening even if nothing else in your life changes, there is also a sense of wonder & anticipation. It is an opportunity to reflect on & release the bad bits of the previous year while remembering the good things & filing them away as good memories made during 2013.

Each year I flip through my new calendar, looking at random dates & wondering what they have in store this year. Hello there April 12th. What are you bringing? I’m also reminded of the dates that are now significant to me for the first time. Prior to 2013, May 30th was just another day. For the rest of my life it will be the day we stood together before a judge with our children to officially legally become a family. It was the very best day, which ended with a house full of people who love us & have shared this journey with us from the very beginning. In 2012 it was just a day when summer was nearing. In 2013 it was a day that brought me joy that I have never previously known.

There is also a moment of trepidation as I look at the calendar & recognize the possibility that one of the 365 days open before me could be a day of loss & profound sadness. I take a moment to remind myself to not only tell but also show the people I love how thankful I am to have them in my life.

2013 was a wonderful year for me & my family. I sincerely hope it was for yours too.


Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment