Pages

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Carl Jung & the over-caffeinated gnat

“What did you do as a child that made your hours pass like minutes?
Here is the key to your earthly pursuits.” – Carl Jung


Lately I’m feeling a little lost, running from one project to another & only accomplishing “just enough” to move on to the next thing. The truth is that I am having a hard time finding balance between being at my professional life during the day & coming home to work on my creative life afterwards. In an effort to stay very focused on my day job all day & immediately focus on my creative efforts at home, I find that I can’t stay focused on anything too long these days. I have the attention span of an over-caffeinated gnat.

I’m so thankful for my job & have so much gratitude to have really good secure employment, especially with the current state of the economy. I'm also very grateful to have the opportunity & support that allow me to be creative. My issue is that I am really having a hard time finding my way back & forth on the path between these two very different parts of myself. I’ll figure it out.

Certainly there is a method to this madness; clearly people navigate this path successfully all the time. I’m just not sure how. The practical grown up in my head is focused on saying things like “current economic climate” while the child in me just wants to sit in the sun & make pretty things. No wonder I’m feeling this way- there are a practical adult & an artsy child in my head wrestling over the keys. Careful who you put your money on in that fight… I think that kid is a biter.

No comments:

Post a Comment