Pages

Thursday, March 31, 2011

The carnival in my head


I took this photo from the ferris wheel on the Santa Monica Pier... no wonder I liked it...

As final preparations are made for a much needed vacation, there is a full-on carnival going on in my head. Here is an example, from a conversation I had with a friend (who will double as house-sitter & cat entertainer during the vacation). Before reading this, keep in mind that she has stayed at my house plenty of times & is one of my best friends, as well as a co-worker at my “grown up” job.

She walks in my office & asks, “So are you looking forward to your vacation?”

“Yes but there is still so much to do I have a huge pile of laundry at home and a couple of things at work that need to be finished and I just remembered I need to call the electrician did I tell you that we got the new light fixtures some of them I put up but some I can’t reach that reminds me did I tell you there isn’t a light fixture in the kitchen but don’t worry the wires are capped I just wanted you to know in case you went in there to get a snack or something at night & you flip the switch and the light doesn’t come on but don’t worry that it will burn the house down because I capped the wires did I tell you that already?”

Keep in mind, that’s just a sample. I’m pretty sure I talked much longer than that in a nebulous, nonsensical way, with one thought leading to another topic as my mind hopped from one carnival ride to another. I don’t really remember the rest of it thanks to the lights dimming. That happens when you say an entire manic monologue in one breath. Call it the Darwinian response to people who can’t shut up. “Want to keep talking without the benefit of oxygen? Go ahead Ace, you’ll blackout eventually.”

Although I would prefer the carnival in my head disappear, the Santa Monica Pier always makes me happy.
Yes, this vacation has come at just the right time- I’m feeling a bit burned out on every level… which is why I haven’t been blogging much lately. Stress doesn’t lend itself to creativity. If I’m not feeling creative, what am I going to blog about? My light fixture drama? I need a break from everything. And, to her credit, so does the poor friend who asked such an innocent question… are you looking forward to your vacation? Clearly she needs a break from my maniacal rants.

Her response to the aforementioned rant?

She stood leaning casually against the doorframe in my office, nodding her head & waiting for me to either blackout or shut up, & finally offered this clearly rhetorical question, “Have you meditated lately?’

Um, no. But I’ll do that as soon as I find the off switch for the carnival music.

It is my hope that this break will allow me to return relaxed & full of creative energy.

I’ll be back in a week, with a great Feature Art Friday post starring Ron Burgundy.

1 comment:

  1. Of course I love this!!! And great pictures!!!

    Have lots and lots of fun!!!

    ReplyDelete