Pages

Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Quote of the month & plaid purgatory


Preach on Voltaire… preach on.

If you fancy yourself a perfectionist & feel the need to punish yourself for anything, get yourself a canvas, some paint & brushes, masking tape, a ruler & a pencil & then paint the border of the canvas plaid. You will find yourself in perfectionist purgatory in no time, my friend. Trust me… I have been there & it is not a pretty place.

This quote would be awfully helpful for me if I could just internalize it… especially where art & creative projects are concerned. I want things to be just right- which is pretty crazy when you think about it. If someone wanted to buy something that looked “perfect” they would probably get something that costs half as much & is mass-produced. Right?

I’m not sure where to draw the line between wanting to make commissioned art that I believe the person will love & making myself crazy with my self-imposed over-the-top expectations, but it appears that wherever I draw that line at this point we can count on one thing… it will be a very straight line.

Made with a ruler.

Or masking tape.

The art with the plaid border will be featured this Friday, with lots of in-progress photos. And masking tape.

No comments:

Post a Comment