Pages

Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Lessons from Jimmy Buffett

 
Last Thursday night, I found myself in the middle of 14,000 adoring Jimmy Buffett fans at his concert in Little Rock, Arkansas. Miles from the nearest coast- although you couldn't guess that based on the sheer number of grass skirts, leis and coconut bras.  Here's the funny thing- even with such a large crowd, it felt like he was playing to a small group in a bar by a beach somewhere. It took a while to figure out how he was managing that & then it hit me. It felt so real because even alllllll the way at the other end of the arena, I could feel how much he loved what he was doing. I honestly think he might have been having just as much fun if he had been in a little bar by the beach & I couldn't help but wonder if he is one of those people who wakes up & laughs every day at the luck of getting to make a living all these years doing what he loves. It was the best concert I think I have ever attended- in part because I could feel it, not just hear it & see it.
 
I can't wait to have that feeling myself. (not sing, trust me- it is a public service that no one ever have to hear me sing.) I can't wait to make a living doing what I love. I don't know how & I don't know when but it's going to happen. Someday I'm going to look back at this & smile... when I'm making art & rescuing homeless dogs & cats... when I have a therapy dog I can take to nursing homes to make people smile. So thanks for the reminder, Jimmy Buffett... oh & the great concert too. 

As I was typing this blog post, Jimmy's song 'Here We Are' came on the radio... check out the lyrics...


Here we are 

Who would have thought this game, this flame would still be burning 
Who would have guessed that all these blenders would still be churning 
Not even we on our bended knees could have ever blessed it 
Not even I with my head in the sky could have ever guessed it 

But here we are, for a family reunion, costume barbeque 
All the black sheep, family outcasts, and a freak or two 

No the hat tricks and the gold bricks still don't have us down 
Still a party, we are the hearty when we come to town 
You're still grinning and we're still winning, nothing left to say 
I'm still gliding as I go flying down this endless wave 

And here we are, we're the offbeat Uncle Freds who spill their wine on you 
And the in-your-face Aunt Rachels with an attitude 
All the ones that use your bathroom then eat all your food 
We're the dreamy Deadheads who just like us and Dave Matthews 

Here we are, maybe it's because in spite of all the work we do 
It's the child in us we really value 
Here we are, with our fins up and our feathers flashing 
Here we are, with our coconut shell brassieres chanting 

Here we are 

No comments:

Post a Comment