Pages

Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Radical self-care

I have a cold. That's why you get no photo with this post... because who wants to see a photo of crumpled up tissues? Prior to becoming a parent, I would just go to work sick with a cold, knowing I could just pass out on the couch in the afternoon. Clearly this is no longer the case. So there will be sick leave used & a nap in the middle of the day so that I can make sense in the evening on this very important first week back to school for my boys.

My best friend calls it "radical self-care"... when you make yourself be still & listen to your body & do what needs to be done to take care of yourself. To be honest, today it feels a little silly to me. I feel like I am being a sissy & should just be at work, sick. Even though nothing really has to be done today. Even though all I want to do is slip between the cool sheets on my bed & put the pillow over my head. This idea of taking care of myself to that I will be well enough to take care of others is a steep learning curve for me. But I am climbing it. 

I'll be back in a few days, or maybe a few more... when I have something better to show you than my summer cold. See you then.

No comments:

Post a Comment