Pages

Thursday, November 28, 2013

Our little secret


Although I have never been one to do the obligatory Thanksgiving post or the Facebook trend of mentioning something I'm thankful for publicly each day in November, for some reason this year I'm willing to share something very personal around here. We have been keeping a gratitude journal for over 5 years. I smiled as I pulled the little stack of books from the box to take this photo.

Years of individual moments. Stacked up in a neat little column. Two very different sets of penmanship telling the story of some of the best moments of my life.

"Today I am grateful for... 1. 2. 3."

Some are sweet. Some are joyful. I smile at the simplicity of the entries before the boys came home.  I laugh at how clearly exhausted & crazy we were shortly after they arrived. There were days that we we grateful for things we didn't do.

Although it is a gratitude journal, some are heart wrenching. It is clear on the days that we suffered a loss that we were reaching for the gratitude. Searching for something to be grateful for in incredibly difficult circumstances to write in those little books. But we did & I'm proud of us for it. 

I hope someday our boys enjoy looking though them & enjoy the bits of memories of our lives they can see in these minute scribbled thoughts.

This week I bought the boys their very own gratitude journals & we will begin to share this tradition with them. I look forward to looking back at them & smiling over the misspelled words, little boy handwriting & all of the candy & toys & whatever else they want to claim as their favorite moments of the day.

It has been such a wonderful life so far & I have so much to be thankful for, but I won't make a big list here. You are just going to have to trust me on this. I swear it to you on a little stack of books.


No comments:

Post a Comment