Pages

Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Who doesn't love a cat in eyeglasses?

Each season, the local library holds a book sale where old books are sold for almost nothing & the money funds library programs. I LOVE the library book sale & picked up some great loot for a bargain total of $3.50. When I start using it in art projects I’ll post photos.

On this trip, while waiting on a friend who had disappeared into the precarious stacks of books, I noticed a new mixed media piece. It really took my breath away.



According to the story, the art features Dorothy Haltom, a longtime library volunteer who walked 6 blocks to volunteer hundreds of hours over several decades. She was known as “the librarian” in her apartment complex & read as many as five books each week using a magnifier in her later years.

She died in June of 2009 at the age of 92. I’m terribly sorry that I never met her at the library. I would love to have talked to her about books. It’s clear from the art, they accompanying story & the volunteer who came up to speak to me that she was loved & admired by everyone.
Who doesn't love a cat in eyeglasses?


No comments:

Post a Comment