Pages

Monday, December 19, 2011

37 things list: Homemade Cookies

Here's just a bit more holiday goodness inspired by a childhood tradition my sister & I shared with our Aunt Melba, who raised the bar for all aunts everywhere. 
 We made these cookies with her every Christmas. 
My favorite part was smashing the M & M in the top of the cookie while it was still warm from the oven. 
Deb & I made bags of them & took them around to our friends this year, "ding, dong ditching" them at each place. I would hang the bag on the door, ring the bell & flee to the getaway car as if I was being chased. So much fun.
 I'm going to give you the recipe the exact way my Aunt Melba wrote it for me... 

M & M Cookies (the ones Laura & Sherry just LOVE)

1 15 oz. bag of M & M's
1 cup margarine
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Coarsely chop 1 1/2 cup of M & M's.
Beat margarine & sugars until light.
Blend in eggs & vanilla.
Add combined flour, soda & salt, mix well.
Stir in chopped M & M's.
Drop rounded spoonfuls of mixture on cookie sheet.
Bake for 9 - 11 minutes.
Remove from oven & press M & M's into the top of each cookie.

Makes about 5 dozen... enough to make you sick!!

No comments:

Post a Comment