Pages

Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Woof, Wag & Wine 2012 or "Aunt Sherry there's a submarine in the river."

Out of the Woods Animal Rescue recently had a big fundraiser & the location was so good, I had to share it with you...
Did you know Arkansas has a submarine? You can see the top of it in the photo below- the black bit sticking up with the white numbers. It's the U.S.S. Razorback.
There was a silent auction, band, BBQ & bar. It was a wonderful casual event full of people who love to rescue homeless animals. My kind of people.
The sub is in the Arkansas River on the North Little Rock side, so there is a great view of Little Rock across the river.
The submarine actually navigated up the river a few years ago to its current home. At the time, my nephews were small, maybe 5 or 6 and they would come to spend the night with me. My apartment was right on the river and the boys would go outside with me to take Maisy for walks. One evening when they were visiting and it was already dark outside, one of the boys said "Aunt Sherry, there is a submarine in the river." I laughed at his fantastic imagination. He wouldn't let it go. Probably because he knew he was right... the sub parked right outside my apartment overnight before making its final approach into downtown. I'll never live that one down. Who misses a giant submarine 100 feet from their doorstep? Don't answer that.

No comments:

Post a Comment