Pages

Friday, December 10, 2010

It's all Alisa Burke's fault

I had crazy dreams last night & it’s all Alisa Burke’s fault. No, Alisa Burke is not the name of a neighbor who plays the TV too loudly… she is an artist who wrote this fantastic book about making art out of painted & repurposed canvas, among other things. All the way from California, without even meeting she has caused me to lose sleep- making me dream that I am sewing some really cool artsy pillows. I am, quite literally dreaming up art projects. True story.

It started when I read an article about Alisa's blog in ‘Artful Blogging’ which led me to read her blog, which led me to buy her book after seeing the creative projects she comes up with, which led to me asking for a sewing machine for Christmas & listing it as one of the 36 things I want to do before I turn 37. While I'm "blaming" her for things, I should also point out that her insanely imaginative sketchbook is also what caused me to add 'keep a sketchbook' to that list. Creative inspiration can be such a slippery slope…

Actually, the sewing business is noted twice on my ‘36 things to do before I turn 37’ list… ‘get a sewing machine’ is #11 & ‘learn to sew’ is #12. I forgot to mention that- I don’t really know how to sew.

Sorry I haven’t bothered to mention what a great book it is prior to this, I assumed that was implied by the fact that I’m dreaming of its contents. Canvas Remix is one of my new favorite art books… & I have A LOT of art books.

By the way, ‘Feature Art Friday’ will return in January, once I can safely post photos of the pet portraits commissioned over the last few months without worrying that I’ll ruin a holiday surprise. I’m working on finishing up the last 3 holiday commissions: a lhasa apso, a poodle & a yorkie. Painting during my waking hours & sewing in my sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment