Pages

Monday, December 27, 2010

Lessons learned in 2010: Lesson 3


Most of my creative life developed when I was happy- the level of inspiration I felt seemed to be firmly tied to mood & life circumstances. I genuinely believed that I had to be in a “certain mood” to do something artistic. There was also this idea that I could absolutely not, under any circumstances be creative when I was sad, or stressed out or having a bad day. So in addition to necessitating some imaginary “creative mood”, there was also an entire list of negative emotions that had to be absent in order to be creative. No wonder I didn’t make anything for so long… looking back on it, it appears that I set myself up in some sort of self-imposed creative exile.

At some point over the last year I realized that my creativity is actually something that I can always fall back on to make myself feel better. If things aren’t going my way, I want more than anything to be in the studio, making something. I’m not saying what I make on a bad day will turn into anything other than a crumpled up scrap of paper on the floor, but for the most part it feels good to engage in the process… which is really the point, isn’t it?



No comments:

Post a Comment